Bloggin' all over the ... UK

So we’re nearly, almost, tantalisingly close to the end of production on the book. We’re reviewing laid-out proofs, we’re finalising agreements for the DVD (and thanks to everyone who helped with that), and we’re starting to think marketing. At the same time, I’m running up and down the country like a fly with a bottom of an unusual colour. First it was Wednesday and Thursday in Leicester, where I was meeting with people about the Machinima Europe Festival festival, which is happening 12-14th October.

Read more →

Must. Sleep. Now.

Hot darn, but I’m tired. We’re in the home straight now. The end is in sight, and both Hugh and I are staggering towards it, gasping for breath with every muscle crying out in pain. The problem is that the end point is deceptively far down the track. I keep thinking we’ve almost finished, then something else turns up, and we’re back to the mind-numbing task of checking every line of a 400+ word book for errors and changes.

Read more →

Quality Assurance

We’re assuring Quality. Oh, yes… A quote from a bug report - Observed Behaviour: Black Hair Of Death.

Read more →

Some quotes

“Creativity is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration, and 120% swearing, cursing and hitting inanimate objects.” “The first 80% of the work takes 80% of the time. The other 20% of the work takes the other 80% of the time.”

Read more →

Second Life Review

We’re in the final stages of editing, redoing pictures, working on the cover and all the other miscellaneous stuff that you never think about when you’re writing a book. We had a bit of controversy over what we were or weren’t going to say about Second Life a little while back. I just wanted to reassure Second Life users that our small section on SL has been looked over by none other than Eric Call, the maker of Silver Bells and Golden Spurs, also known as Eric Linden.

Read more →

110 pages to go...

We’re on the Author Review stage of book writing now, which essentially means “edit our work, and the changes our editor has made, and the queries she’s made about our horrible, horrible grammar/geek jokes/general errors”. Oh, and whilst we’re at it, we also have to trim nearly 100 pages from the page count. Well, that’s going better than expected (experienced writers will know that there’s always a whole bunch more that you can cut without affecting quality), but we’re starting to flag.

Read more →

He's too young ...

I know he’ll be too modest to post about it himself, so I’ll let you all know that Hugh was given the Award for Outstanding Contribution to Machinima at the Online Machinima Film Festival. Congratulations to Hugh on this recognition of the tremendous work he does on behalf on the community, and congratulations to the community for their excellent taste. You know, normally when people receive Outstanding Contribution awards or Lifetime Achievement awards, it means that the general consensus is that they’re almost dead.

Read more →

A few bits and pieces...

Just a few things from around the place: For the WoW fans in the audience, the latest official World of Warcraft video, trailing the Black Temple, is one of the nicest pieces of Machinima I’ve seen this year. There’s a whole bunch more info on MovieStorm’s expected pricing over on the official Moviestorm forums. None of this is set in stone yet, so go give them your opinion!

Read more →

Moviestorm is free, and comes with the book

Yes, we have a price for Moviestorm, the awesome, dedicated, commercially-licensed Machinima toolset that Short Fuze have been working away at for years now, and about which we have blogged effusively. It’s going to be… Zero pounds, zero pence. $0 No Yen. Zilch. Nothing. Nada. Zero. Free. Yes, it’s free to download. Totally, utterly free. Without cost. FREEEEEEEEEEE! Can you tell we’re a little excited about this? You might be asking “how the hell will they survive off that?

Read more →

Next week, honest...

OK, that treat we promised you might be coming out next week, now. This week has been a bit of a morass of format conversion, and that’s never fun.

Read more →